Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Emma aime at the Movies: Black Swan

The hubby and I went to see Black Swan yesterday. I have wanted to see this film ever since I saw the trailer for it online some months back despite the fact that I don't like ballet and I am a real wuss when it comes to horror films. I have to say Black Swan didn't disappoint and it's easy to see why it has been nominated for so many awards.

The film tells the story of Nina a dancer with the New York ballet company who strives for perfection in her dance. Nina is pure and naive thanks to an overbearing mother but when she is picked to play the Swan Queen in the companies latest production of swan lake Nina must discover her dark side and this leads her to a downward spiral of delusions and paranoia.

I found the movie both stunning and grotesque, disturbingly so in some scenes. The themes of the duality between the black and the white swan and the imagery that goes along with it where fabulously written and portrayed. Nina's decline into a world of dark delusions and paranoia was fantastically portrayed. Black Swan is definitely one of those movies that you would want to watch more than once as every time you watch it you notice more little things that you didn't see the first time. As for those that slated the film I can only think that they didn't understand the complexity of the imagery involved in the story and the parallels between Nina's delusions and the story of the ballet Swan Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment