Monday, February 25, 2013

The Bookworm Presents: Fifth Avenue, 5am

As promised a few weeks ago here is my review of Fifth Avenue, 5am. The book follows the creation of the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's from the creation of the book by Truman Capote to the rise of Audrey Hepburn's star and her casting to play the role of Holly Golightly. New York Socialite, call girl and kook.

I have adored the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's ever since I first saw it many years ago but at the time I failed to realise just how groundbreaking it was to have a sexually liberated woman on screen who is not portrayed as a bad girl and doesn't suffer some awful consequence of her promiscuity. The book give a fascinating insight into how such issue that arose making the film were resolved and a good deal more background information about the making of the movie.
In fact there were so many issues in creating this masterpiece of a movie that I'm surprised it got made at all but made it was and I for one am delighted it was.

I adored Fifth Avenue, 5am. It is a compelling read, so much so in fact that I simply could not put it down and read it in one sitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment