Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Anything Goes

Last week I took a flying visit down to Sydney thanks to the lovely people at Nuffnang who gave me tickets to see Anything Goes.

Anything Goes is a musical by Cole Porter. Set aboard the S.S. American bound from New York to London. Billy Crocker is a stowaway in love with heiress Hope Harcourt, who is engaged to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. Nightclub singer Reno Sweeney and Public Enemy #13 Moonface Martin aid Billy in his quest to win Hope. The musical introduced such songs as "Anything Goes", "You're the Top", and "I Get a Kick Out of You."

I'm a huge Cole Porter fan so I was so excited to see the musical especially staged in the beautiful surroundings of the Opera House and I have to say Anything Goes certainly did not disappoint. Although the musical originally debued in 1934 it has not aged an still has plenty of appeal to modern audiences old and young alike. Cole Porters songs have a fun and timeless energy about them and the quirky mixed up love story is a classic.

I simply adored Caroline O'Connor as Reno Sweeny especially in her scenes with Moonface Martin (Wayne Scott Kermond) her slapstick performance could rival some of the best and put me in mind of Lucille Ball. Todd McKenny was fantastic (as always) as the English aristocrat Lord Evelyn Oakleigh and Alex Rathgeber and Claire Lyon shone as the lovebirds Billy Crocker and Hope Harcourt. The captain played by Gerry Connolly reminded me of Nathan Lane in The Producers.

The shows 10 minute tap number was simply spectacular and rivalled anything that Busby Berkeley could have imagined. The Purple Fairy and I were amazed at the stamina of the performers who danced and sang without breaking a sweat!
And of course I have to mention the outfits which were amazing. There were a few 1930's ensembles that I just have to recreate myself including this one of Reno's which I'm sure will appear on the blog soon.

The Purple Fairy and I had a fantastic time at Anything Goes and left with huge smiles on our faces. Thank you Nuffnang for a great night out!

If you would like to set sail aboard the S.S. American you can buy your tickets here

No comments:

Post a Comment