Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Goodbye to Emma aime

After a little soul searching I have come to the difficult decision to stop writing this blog. With everything that is going on in my life at the moment I don't have the time to dedicate to blogging any more. Over the years blogs have transformed into something that I just don't like. When I first started blogging blogs were almost like a diary. I personal peek into someone's life, their likes and dislikes, their passions and the things they fill their days with. These days blogs seem to be almost like online magazines. The photos are edited and photoshoped and the words sells us an ideal life with a heavy emphasis on product placement.

I stopped reading magazines a long time ago when I decided that the fake images they portray are unobtainable and make women feel bad about themselves and I feel blogs are going the same way. Bloggers only portray the good in their lives and create beautiful ideal worlds that everyone would love to live in. The negative and ugly are edited out and what is left is an unobtainable ideal.

Over the years it has become all to easy to envy these ideal lives created by other bloggers and to feel a pang of jealousy and a little competitiveness. It is all to easy to compare myself to other bloggers and feel that I am falling sort when I don't have as many followers and don't get as many offers for advertising and collaborations and I feel this is an unhealthy frame of mind.

I have also discovered that over the years 'readers' have become far more interested in pictures than the written word and most don't even bother to read posts. I read many beautiful blogs with stunning photography but the written word portrays the blogger's personality and soul more than any image ever could. For me the words are the very heart of the post but it seems these days people are more interested in the instant gratification a picture can give and are more concerned with a superficial image than personality that comes through a blogger's words. It seems the written word is a dying art and this saddens me.

Aside from this I feel I spend too much time thinking about whether an outfit or experience would make a good blog post and desperately trying to photograph and document it rather than enjoying it in that moment. I don't want to live my life looking though a camera lens and this is a big reason that I have decided to stop writing the blog.

Over the years the blog has bought me many opportunities and new friends. I have done things I never would have thought possible such as modelling at the love vintage shows and have met many amazing people I feel honoured to call my friends. So it is with a heavy heart I say goodbye for now. Who knows what will happen in the future I may decide to resurrect the blog but for now I look forward to living my life without worrying about creating content for other people. For those who still want a peak into my life I will still be posting on Instagram @emmapowick.

And so all that is left to say is goodbye dear readers its been one hell of a ride!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't updated my blog in years. Life, mental health, all got in the way. I certainly noticed trends like you're describing which made it hard to put myself out there and 'compete' with the polished perfection and heavily edited images you see. I always liked how your personality and interests shone through and your weekly updates on what you did even gave ideas about date nights with my partner. I hope you're well and happy in the next stage of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Emmi. I may come back to the blog if i miss blogging and have more time in the future but for now I just dont have the time!

      Delete