Monday, January 17, 2011

Burlesque - The Movie

The hubby and I went to see Burlesque today. Burlesque is this generations Caberet or 42nd street. It is a classic story of small town girl moving to the big city to make it as a star!

I have to say it was more cabaret than burlesque with all the glitz and glamour of an old musical just sexed up for a modern day audience. Cher was fantastic as Tess, the owner of the struggling burlesque lounge. Even amongst a bevy of burlesque beauties she took centre stage and held her own. Christina Aguilera was a true starlet as Ali with a great set of pipes! Stanley Tucci's character Sean was charming and sweet and the camaraderie between his and Cher's character seemed both genuine and touching. Alan Cummings character seems to be a reprisal of the one he played in Cabaret. Having said that I would have liked to see more of him in the movie as his scenes are few and far between. In fact the movie seems to tip its (bowler) hat to Cabaret in more than one scene.

I have to say that overall I loved the movies glitz and glamour. I love a good musical and this is certainly that. The only downside for me would be the lack of back story for both of the main female characters Tess and Ali. I understand that the movie is already 2 and a half hours long so alot of this may be cut but without it the characters just seem to be missing something for me.

1 comment:

  1. Still waiting for it to come up here to the end of the world..

    ReplyDelete