Monday, June 10, 2013

Mockingbird Lane

To be honest I only vaguely remember watching The Munsters growing up but when I heard Bryan Fuller had made a pilot for a show based on The Munster I just had to see it. I just adored Bryan Fuller's other shows such as Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies so I hoped this one would be as good and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. Having said that I didn't immediately fall in love with it like I did Pushing Daisies but the pilot of Mockingbird Lane had great potential to grow into another fantastic Bryan Fuller show.

Mockingbird Lane is definitely a Munsters for the 21st Century. The whole premise has been update from a campy sitcom that simply would not work in this day and age to an actual family drama with some darkly comic moments.  The show was excellently cast and I especially enjoyed Eddie Izzard as Grandpa and his sardonic wit.  Jerry Fuller made a lovable Herman Muster his somewhat wooden acting style worked in his favour this time. Portia Di Rossi was stunning and captivating as Lily. Charity Wakefield made a very cutesy Marilyn, the freak of the family (being the only normal one) and grandpa's conscience and Mason Cook did a fantastic job of Eddie Munster. 

Unfortunately it seems that Mockingbird Lane has not been picked up for a series but for anyone who wants to check out the pilot it is available online. 

1 comment: