Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bye bye 2009

So long 2009 and what a year its been! I've achieved alot this year, had good times and bad and set to motion some long term plans to change mine and the hubby's future for the better.

This year had some bad points: I got news that grandad died and my step mum was diagnosed with breast cancer on the same day! It was sad not to be able to go to my grandads funeral seeing as I was on the other side of the world and funds weren't great but I said goodbye in my own way and really if I'm honest I don't deal with funerals at all well so maybe it was better this way.

As for my step mum well shes just completed her last chemo and is doing alot better. She has maintained a positive outlook throughout the whole ordeal and I'm incredibly proud and inspired by her.


This year had many good points though:

The hubby and I moved into our own place which rent wise is a steal and is right by the beach which is perfect for me. We love it so much that we're even thinking of buying the place a few years down the line.

I got a new job - after not working for almost 2 years the prospect of going back to work was daunting. I knew I didn't want to go back to office work as it no longer held a challenge for me but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so it was great when my friends who all work at the same gym/creche told me they had a job that needed filling. Going back to work was no pressure as it was working with friends and I love the job so much I'm hoping to retrain in childcare once were permanent residents (course fees for international students are ridiculously high!)

I reached my goal weight of 63kg which means I've lost 20kgs in the last year and a bit which is no mean feat. After being diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in 2008 I found it hard to lose the 20kgs or so I had put on. This year after routine blood tests my blood sugar and cholesterol came back at the high end of the normal range which shocked me into being more serious about my diet and exercise and its certainly paid off!


I started this blog - which to be honest I didn't think anyone would read but I already have 9 followers, my first award and a fair few visitors. My blog will continue to grow in 2010. I already have some exciting subjects for 2010 lined up so stay tuned!

Last year the new years resolutions I made were:
To find a job
To lose the weight
To exercise regularly and eat more healthily
To join a gym
To join a pagan group
To start a tai chi class
To volunteer
To learn to drive

So I had mixed success with these resolutions. To be honest i think i put alot of pressure on myself to completed all these resolutions. Some such a joining a gym a really didn't want to do but felt I should to lose the weight I needed to and become more healthy. In the past I went to the gym 3-4 times a week but I found it so boring so this year I've come to the conclusion that there are other forms of exercise that are fun and don't feel like a chore.

Some resolutions such as learning to drive are just not feasible at the moment due to things outside my control. I can't learn to drive until I'm a permanent resident but I'm not counting this one as a failure. In the meantime I've been getting all the information together that I'll need to get my license and practising for my theory test so I'm fully prepared.

As for tai chi classes and volunteering its been a matter of time. I just don't have enough at the moment but its something that I definitely will do in the next year or so.

With regards to joining a pagan group, I have no excuses for this one. I found a group in my local area that sounds great but never took the leap. I've always been quite a cautious person that never liked trying new things so I will definitely make it a resolution for 2010 to be less cautious.

Happy New Year dear readers ... x

1 comment: