Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentines Escapades!

Hello dear readers!
I hope you all had a wonderful valentines day. The hubby and I went into the City to see Nation at the Dendy cinema in Circular Quay and although it was a grey day and we were both somewhat snuffly we had a great day. The hubby is a big Terry Pratchett fan and he's got me into the book so when my big sis told me about NT Live Nation I knew it would be a great gift for the hubby. He spends so much time spoiling me that I wanted to do something that he'd enjoy and not something that would result in a conventional commercial Valentine's day!


Nation is based on the book of the same name by Terry Pratchett. It is the story of a parallel world in 1860. Two teenagers are thrown together by a tsunami that has destroyed Mau’s village and left Daphne shipwrecked on his South Pacific island, thousands of miles from home. One wears next to nothing, the other a long white dress; neither speaks the other’s language; somehow they must learn to survive. As starving refugees gather, Daphne delivers a baby, milks a pig, brews beer and does battle with a mutineer. Mau fights cannibal Raiders, discovers the world is round and questions the reality of his tribe’s fiercely patriarchal gods. Together they come of age, overseen by a foul-mouthed parrot, as they discard old doctrine to forge a new Nation. The hubby and I both thought the play was fab and wonderfully acted especially the parrot! I wondered if watching a recording of a live play on the silver screen would not be a little weird but after a while you forgot you were in the cinema and it really felt like you were watching a play. So much so that the cinema audience actually applauded in the end!

NT Live Nation was broadcast to 300 locations all over the world on 30th January, 13th and 14th Feb for Australia and if you are in New Zealand or South Africa you can still catch performances on 20th and 21st April respectively. Check out the National Theatres website for details.

The hubby and I did plan on stopping in at the Chinese New Year Markets on the way home but my cold had got the better of me by then so we headed straight home. We did pass the market on the train though on the way home and the park looked beautiful decorated with Chinese lanterns. Unfortunately I couldn't get any pictures as my camera ran out of battery (The above picture was unashamedly nabbed from the cityofsydney website!)

How did you spend Valentines day dear readers? ... x

No comments:

Post a Comment