Thursday, April 8, 2010

Movies, Mum and Me - An Alice in Wonderland Review

While the boys were away up north my Mum had some Mother/Daughter time. One of the things we did was to go and see Alice in Wonderland. After much anticipation 0n my part (i remember blogging about the movie back in July when i first started my blog!) the movie definitely lived up to my expectations. It was beautifully dark and eerie in true Tim Burton style and I enjoyed every second of it.

The film is a sort of sequel to the original book and tells the story of how Alice, now nineteen years old, accidentally returns to Underland (misheard by Alice and believed to be called Wonderland), a place she visited thirteen years previously. She is told that she is the only one who can slay the Jabberwocky, a dragon-like creature controlled by the Red Queen who terrorizes Underland's inhabitants.

I have to agree somewhat with that nasty critic in the UK that said Mia Wasikowska looked sickly. She definitely looked frail and ill at the beginning of the movie but I think that was almost the point. That Alice was a weakling who didn't stand up for herself. By the end of the movie she was fighting fit and ready to slaughter the Jabberwocky. AS for her acting I think Mia made a wonderful Alice.

I adored many of the characters and have to take my hat of for the great casting decisions made. Stephen Fry was wonderfully cast as the Cheshire Cat. Alan Rickman was perfect as the blue Caterpillar although I can't help but listen to his voice and think of Snape. Matt Lucas brought fantastic comic value as Tweedledum and Tweedledee and Barbara Windsor made a wonderfully heroic little Doormouse.

I loved Helena Bonham Carter as the Red Queen but have to agree with the affore mentioned mean critic that she does remind me somewhat of Queenie from Black Adder. But the character I adored above all others with that of the Mad Hatter played by Johnny Depp. I just loved the juxtaposition of his bipolar personalities, the Scottish maniac and the unhinged yet sensitive soul. The Hatter's beautiful scene with Alice when she leaves Wonderland actually moved em to tears (I know, I'm a sook!)

And for the Alice inspired costume I planned to wear to watch the film well I have decided to save it as the Purple and French Fairies are having a joint Birthday party in between their two birthdays (so an Un-birthday I guess!) at the end of May so I will wear it then. An outfit post will follow.
I'm off to ponder why a raven is like a writing desk dear readers ... x

No comments:

Post a Comment